Saturday, December 06, 2008

Shooty Goodness

Recently got a .308 HK style battle rifle on the cheap. Also recently got a friend into the shooting sports, and he keeps asking if I want to go to the range. These things can be combined profitably, so today I load up varying examples of my rifles, and my Paul Nelson Commemorative Sig220 (Hey Paul, I've got a .45 with your name on it!), and we headed out to the range in really sub freezing weather.

First up is the rifle I built last month. We put targets up at 50 yards and go to work. From the lack of rounds on paper and the 2 fliers at the top of the target holder, I discover that in sighting it in at 25 yards last time meant it was WAY high at fifty. Took us +30 rounds firing 3 at a time and cranking it down and right to get it onto target, at which point we started getting really accurate. Now I need to remember it shoots low right at 25. Great gun, even better knowing I assembled it w/ no knowledge.

Next up was my primary style of battle-rifle. Adjustable sights? What are those? Lit up the target at fifty yards, and did quite well. Normall I don't take this rifle out that far - the front post is about as big as a sheet of typing paper at that range. I was really grouping my shots nicely, no fliers or misses.

Next up, my friend took Paul Nelson over to the pistol range. It's a proud moment when I realize the guy I taught has become a better shooter than me. Short(er) .45 pistol, first time firing anything bigger than a 9mm, he pounds out a cluster of 15 out of 16 in a tight group w/ 4 bullseyes. A classic scene, shooter in a perfect stance, the pistol perfectly black and defined against the snow.

Next up is the HK. I say a prayer, rock in a mag, charge it, and fire it from the hip just to make sure if it blows up, it doesn't take out my face. Blows all the snow off the table, sways me back like I'm in a windstorm. I put the gun down, say "Holy crap! I need to think about that for a minute." I cowboy up, put the gun to my shoulder, and touch off another round. Loud. Really loud. Minimal recoil. Seriously, it feels like shooting a supersoaker, there's just this straight back push and a loud noise. The working out must be helping. Loving this gun, really. I can see this being my primary weapon.

Unfortunately, we had multiple instances of 2 of the most amazing jams I've ever seen. Bolt closing on round nosing up at a severe angle into the chamber roof, with a fired case jammed backwards in at the same time. Next up was another severe nose-to-the-roof jam, but with another life case nosing down at the back of the mag, creating a messed up V shape of unfired rounds pushing the rest of the mag down. Never seen anything like it. The guys at Gander are getting it back to work on, and I have photographic proof of this oddity if they question my sanity.

Friend is planning on getting a membership to the range and a battle rifle soon. America wins again.

No comments: