Went to the range last week with a coworker. Took along a 1911, Jim Doyle 9mm, a 12gauage, and one of my battle rifles.
Start out with the battle rifle at 50 yards. Crappy irons and only shooting offhand contributed to mediocre accuracy ranging from lethal to painful to "keep your head down."
Next up was the 1911. I love this pistol. My coworker shot better with it that its owner, or any other person with any other firearm that I've ever seen. 45 feet, 7 in the 9ring, 9 through the same ragged hole in the center circle.
Then comes the Jim Doyle 9mm. Mediocre accuracy. Predictably right of target. Back sights look off, need adjusting. Eats crappy Wolf practice ammo though. That pistol will digest anything. I'm hoping to shoot my concealed carry quals for Minnesota next month, and if I don't get the sights straightened out, I'm going to have to shoot it with my Sig 220. That would not be cool.
After that we just ran the 12gauge through some dumb stuff. Stock folded, aiming at snow piles on the berm. Fun times.
Then we went back to the pistol range with a box of 50 9mm's, and started doing reload and malfunction drills with the USP. Load 3 rounds in the mag, 2 in the spare, with another empty case somewhere in the stack. Or the empty case in the first mag. Shoot to slide-lock, reload, shoot to the preplanted dud, and then taprackbang until you can shoot again. Best hour I've ever spent shooting.
My friend says he's getting a 1911 when he gets back from Japan in August. I hope he still can.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment