Picked up Daughtry's new CD on my way to my grandma's funeral. I'd already heard all of the songs, but I wanted to give Chris my money, so I bought one of the special editions with the extra songs.
Good CD. Great CD actually. A lot of universal themes, excellent lyrics, Daughtry puts his whole heart and soul into his singing, bringing a lot of emotion and intensity to the CD. There are some missteps, a few boring songs, and he does have this annoying habit of singing a three line group like they're four lines, but that's not a huge problem.
Go out and get it, now. It's worth the money.
1.You Don't Belong. Not a fan of this song, I'm not sure what it's about honestly. I do like the voice changing in the song, it sounds like the band Live. REALLY sounds like Live.
2.No Surprise. A rather mature song about the destruction of a relationship. The extra verse at the end is a wonderful addition, it keeps amping up the intensity. Perfectly written, perfectly sung. A lot of fun, it does not grow old.
3.Every Time You Turn Around. Another misstep. Poorly written rock song, tries to be harder and more rock than it is. Well worth skipping.
4.Life After You. Easy to hear Chad Kroeger's influence, it sounds a lot like This Afternoon. Not a great song, but not a bad song either. Don't know why they're looking at it as a single.
5.What I Meant To Say. A nice angry rock song. One of the meaner breakup songs I've heard. Great stuff.
6.Open Up Your Eyes. Perfectly suited to driving to a funeral. It's about a woman who lays her husband to rest prematurely, then dies herself after waiting to join him for her entire life. Powerful imagery, well written.
7.September. A perfect end-of-the-summer song about all the confusion that people feel as one season (weather or life, either one) ends and another begins. A great song.
8.Ghost Of Me. Another good one. Bit of a different theme to it, it's about a former significant other who's having regrets, and he's reassuring her that she shouldn't. Again, a bit of a Live sound to it.
9.Learn My Lesson. One of my favorites. Typical "you'd think I'd learn not to get involved with these crazy women types" song, but pulled off well.
10.Supernatural. Another favorite. Great rock song describing a physical relationship in a non-raunchy manner, which is quite out of the ordinary for rock music these days. The intensity does not let up. Lots of fun.
11.Tennessee Line. I've covered that here before.
12.Call Your Name. Not sure what this one is about, and it's missing a couple of lines from the chorus. A proper guitar solo though. Wish it had've lasted longer.
13.Get Me Through. Boring. Might change my mind after listening to it a little more, but I doubt it.
Hie thee hence, and buy this CD.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment